by David Taber
As of Jan. 29 two candidates have taken out nomination papers to run in the special election for alderman-at-large.
“We are going to have a race,” said Nicholas A. Salerno, chairman of the Board of Election Commissioners.
The first day candidates could take out papers was Friday, but former Provost campaign field coordinator Marty Martinez and former Ward 6 Alderman John M. Connolly, who had previously declared their intentions to run, are the only two to have begun the process of getting their names on the ballot so far, he said.
The board of aldermen set the date for the special election Thursday, ratifying a recommendation made by the board’s legislative matters subcommittee on Tuesday. Salerno presented the sub-committee with three timeline options.
A fast-track option would have citizens casting their votes May 10 and a drawn-out version would set the general election date for June 26, he said. The third option held the preliminary election April 10 and the general election May 22, he said.